Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Crossing of the Threshold

Hey Everyone!

I said in my last post that I would show pictures in this post but unfortunately I only have access to AMIDEAST (America-Mideast Educational and Training Services) computers right now whihc won't allow use USB ports. As soon as I get internet access at home I will post pictures (this will include picture of the Kasbah of the Udayas, the Hassan Tower, and the Mausoleum of Mohammed V). I met my host family before-yesterday which includes Mrs. Nadia (the host mother), Mr. Ralil (host father), Lina (14-month old baby host sister), and Fatima (the maid). They are very accommodating and open to conversation. Mrs. Nadia and I touched upon various subjects during our conversations (Mr. Ralil was out-of-town and arrived yesterday evening). She is much more knowledgable about United States pop culture than I initially thought. So far, I tasted everything the family has served me and it is delicious.

This is a Moroccan dish called tajine which is a slow-cooked stew with meat (usually lamb or chicken) and vegetables. [This picture is taken from the internet]
Sadly, I cannot communicate with Fatima since she doesn't speak any French. Every morning I walk from home to AMIDEAST headquarters (hoping during the 10-minute walk that I wouldn't get any obnoxious catcalls) to take extensive three-hour french lessons. I walk back home for lunch and I go to AMIDEAST at 3:00 for whatever activity they have planned for us. So far, this is what I noticed about Rabat (realized I forgot to write down which city I live in):

1: The sidewalks are really uneven (unlike New Orleans which have terrible streets but decent sidewalks).
2: Some Morccans dress like the majority of Americans (In case you are wondering, we do not have to wear a hijab or a burqa).
3. Morrocans have the TV on most of the time (although they are not really watching). There is also PG-13 rated material on TV.
4. There are cats EVERYWHERE.

I have to go now for the "Rabat City Challenge" (AMIDEAST was very vague about this). I'll write about that later. Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment